Celebrating the 120th Anniversary of the Manx Electric Railway Extension to Laxey
It’s been 120 years since the Manx Electric Railway reached the mining village of Laxey, on the east coast, but in celebration of this significant event the Island’s oldest tramcars (Nos. 1 & 2) came into operation as part of the daily scheduled services during the weekend; with a rare opportunity to photograph both tramcars as they passed each other at Laxey Station.
|Tramcar No. 1 (Courtesy of Isle of Man Railways)
|Built by G. F. Milnes & Co. of Birkenhead in England, both tramcars are recognised by Guinness World Records as the oldest tramcars in service on their original system anywhere in the world.
They were delivered to the Isle of Man in 1893 along with a third tramcar, which was subsequently lost during a fire in the Laxey car shed in 1930.
Although not in daily use, tramcar number one carries the official Guinness World Record plaque which supports this achievement.
A plaque commemorating the official opening of the line to Laxey was recently discovered, and is now on display at the Manx Electric Railway Museum located at the Derby Castle terminus in Douglas.
© July 2014