The Port St. Mary Commissioners have come across this cup and wonder if anyone knows what is was for. Because the hallmarks suggest the 1930s we have eliminated the cup that “Mrs F. Poulsom, of Southport, whose name, and that of her husband, is so closely connected with the park presented to Castletown, and with the handsome challenge cup annually played for on the Port St. Mary Golf Links” that was mentioned in 1914’s Manx Notebook.
It is inscribed “Port St Mary Challenge Cup”. Hallmarks indicate that it was assayed in London in 1929/30 and the makers or sponsors mark is that of Robert Pringle & Sons of Clerkenwell Road, London.
So, anyone recognize it?