Parville Gardens – Ballabeg. Open days.
Parville Gardens, in the south of the Island, will be open to the public during July this year, and promises a riotous display of colour for midsummer.
A leisurely stroll around the estate will include the wildlife pond, the spectacular main garden with its magnificent gazebo, the colourful wildflower meadow and the naturally expressive Parville Glen.
Situated on the main road through Ballabeg, adjacent to Arbory Parish Church, the Parville estate (the name was derived from a combination of the family name with the Latin word villa) was first recorded in the Manorial Roll in 1587 as a cottage and croft owned by John Parr, but subsequently changed hands a number of times.
The house, which is not open to the public on this occasion, has been the subject of several modifications, although the core of the building is believed to date from the mid to late seventeenth century.
The Parr family originated in Lancashire and migrated to the Island with several others when successive Earls of Derby became Lords of Mann. Members of the Parr family subsequently held a number of important positions within the political and ecclesiastical framework of the Isle of Man, including that of Bishop of Sodor and Mann.
All funds raised during the weekend will be used by The Caroline Pettit Trust, the charity which owns runs and preserves Parville.
Saturday 20th July 2.00pm – 5.00pm
Sunday 21st July 2.00pm – 5.00pm
© July 2013 (inc photos)
(Courtesy of Manx Tails)