Visit Kentraugh Mill and Raise Money for Charity
With home baking on the rise and a resurgence in bread making, National Mills Weekend will be a great opportunity to see the many windmills and watermills which still survive across the British Isles.
In the south of the Island, Kentraugh Mill (near the Shore Hotel) will be welcoming visitors to see how one of the best preserved Manx watermills operates, with guided tours throughout the weekend.
Organised nationally by the Mills Section of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, Kentraugh Mill (also known as The Little Mill) was run by the Qualtrough family for over 400 years, but is now owned by Canon and Mrs Sheen who live in the adjoining miller’s house. Probably a working mill for centuries, it’s believed to have been largely re-built about 1832, when the current machinery was installed, but ceased as a working mill in 1943. Lying unused and forgotten for more than 20 years it was restored by Mr R. M. Nuttall after purchasing the miller’s house in 1965.
Visitors will be able to join an extensive tour of the three-storey building, see the mill in action, learn more about its history and visit the Chapel Garden, used as both a miller’s storeroom and as a meeting place for the Primitive Methodists.
Although admission is free, donations are welcome towards the owners’ chosen charity, the United Society (Anglicans in World Mission) with an invite to the miller’s house for some delicious home-made refreshments.
Further information is available by phoning 832406 but visitors are reminded that tours of the mill are undertaken at their own risk.
Saturday 11th May 10.00am – 5.00pm
Sunday 12th May 11.00am – 5.00pm
© May 2013
(Courtesy of Manx Tails)